Friday, April 29, 2011

Jon Day Named Scholar Athlete


Bridgton Academy is pleased to announce that Jon Day (Gorham, ME) is this year’s recipient of The Scholar Athlete Award from The State of Maine Chapter of the National Football Foundation and College Hall of Fame. It is the mission of the National Football Foundation to “inspire our nation’s youth to compete on the athletic fields and in the classroom and to assume leadership roles on the high school and college campuses today.”


Jon has worked very hard this year in the classroom and on the football field and follows in the footsteps of many Bridgton Academy alumni who have also received this award. Matt Burgess ’88 was the first recipient from Bridgton Academy and is now a current faculty member and football coach at the Academy. Along with Burgess other recipients include:


Michael Bruneau ‘90

John Powers ’91 (past faculty member)

Thomas Asbury ‘92

Robert Sinram ‘93

Thomas MacLeod ‘94

Charles McElligott ‘97

Patrick Shairs ’02 (past faculty member and football coach)

Michael Whitticon ‘04

Thomas Daley ‘05

Christopher Chandler ‘06

Charles Bachelder ‘07

James Burrell ‘08


Day played tight end at Bridgton Academy and is attending Wesleyan University in September.

Head football coach, Rick Marcella said of Day, “The thing that strikes me the most about Jon is his work ethic. He brings that with him everywhere he goes, with great motivation and follow through. Jon refuses to be outworked by anybody.”


Grady Vigneau, Headmaster said, “Having previously been an officer of the Vermont Chapter of the NFF, I know first hand just how much thought and evaluation goes into the selection of a recipient for a state's Scholar Athlete Award. As such, Jon's recognition speaks volumes about his accomplishments this year at Bridgton Academy. In the classroom, as a campus citizen, and on the football field, Jon has been a leader, an achiever, and an inspiration. As an Academy, we congratulate Jon and thank him for all he has done this year as a member of the Class of '11"


Jon said, “I am extremely honored just to be

nominated for this very prestigious award. Thank you to all my coaches who have pushed me along the way and taught me to never stop working my absolute hardest. I wouldn't be where I am today without the help of great coaches through my career. I also want to take the time and say thank you to my mom who always pushed me to be better than I was in anything. I'd be lost without her.”


No comments: