Friday, October 3, 2008

Player Profile- Shane Ferguson




Shane Ferguson
Height: 5’11
Weight: 185
Age: 18
D.O.B.: 3/8/90
Hometown: Point Pleasant Beach, NJ
Position: WR


WF- How did you hear about Bridgton Academy?
SF- It was recommended to me by a guidance counselor.

WF- What do you hope to get out of your year at BA- both athletically as well as academically?
SF- I would like to be recruited by 1 AA program and get my study habits down once I get to college.

WF- Who are your role models?
SF- My Grandparents, Mom and Dad, and I have to say Wes Welker.

WF- What do you want to be doing five years from now? Ten years from now?
SF- I'd be a senior looking into getting a gym teacher position in my town as well as a coach, and ten years from now I'll hopefully still be teaching and coaching.

WF- What does it mean to be a Wolverine?
SF- Everyday I'm learning more and more about the tradition so its growing on me. Also, I know I'm with a group of elite kids that are all here to better themselves.

WF- What are you looking forward to this year?
SF- I'm looking forward to proving to myself that I can play with kids all over, because I'm coming from a small town without a lot of competition. Also, I'm looking forward to getting recruited.

WF- What is your most favorite class?
SF- Intro to Communications with Mr. Mellon.

WF- What is your least favorite class?
SF- SAT Prep or Pre-Cal.

WF- What is your favorite sports team?
SF- Probably the New York Giants or the New York Yankees because I grew up around my grandfather and he tried out for the Yankees, and made it. The only thing is that he made the first cut, but when it came to the second cuts, he missed it because he had to work.

WF- What are your strengths and weaknesses as a Student-Athlete?
SF- As an athlete, my size hurts because it creates a number of obstacles, but my strengths include my ability to be a physical receiver and my ability to catch the ball. My weaknesses as a student is taht I am a procrastinator and that I put my work off, but my strength is that I find time to finish my work, if you want to call that a strength.

WF- Who is your favorite athlete?
SF- Wes Welker or Brian Lenord.

WF- Do you have siblings that are involved in sports?
SF- No, I am an only child.

WF- What is your favorite spots memory?
SF- My junior year when I had five touchdowns in one game, including a 100 yard interception returned for a touchdown. Also, when I found out I was accepted for the New Jersey State soccer team.

WF- Do you have any pre-game rituals?
SF- I like to go out on the field an hour or two before the game to get a feel for it. Right before opening kickoff I would pray to my grandfather because he was an athlete and we have a close bond.

WF- What are some other sports and hobbies you are interested in?
SF- Soccer and baseball, I played soccer for about 12-13 years and baseball around the same time, including playing both for my high school teams, soccer my freshmen year and baseball all four years. I also like to snowboard and surf and hang out at the beach, and spear fish.

WF- Why didn't you go straight to college?
SF- Coming from a small school, it was tough to be recruited, especially being a Quarterback my senior year. I did have a couple of offers but I wanted to push myself to go Division 1-AA and my study skills weren't where they needed to be as a college athlete.

WF- Do you have a quote you try and live by?
SF- "It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog."

WF- Do you have any regrets about coming to BA?
SF- No regrets about coming to BA, but it is tough having your friends all in college, but you know it's the right decision.

WF- What is your favorite dish here at BA?
SF- Grilled Chicken Sandwich or the pizza and the calzones.

WF- What colleges are you interested in looking into?
SF- University of Maine, Townson, and Hofstra.

Profile compiled by Student Athlete- Nadjee Harigan, who also plays WR for the Wolverines

1 comment:

Curtleach said...

Shane, You have what it takes to get to where you want to go.....in mind and body. I can't wait to see where that is that you get to.

Was and is still one of your fans from the 'Hood. Keep on keep'in on! Warmest regards, Curt Leach